Way down in South Carolina’s Lowcountry, not too far from Moncks Corner, and just a stone’s throw from the Cooper River lies the Biggin Church Ruins. It was constructed in 1711 to serve as the church for the Parish of St John’s Berkley. The church also served as a meeting place where the civil matters of colonial South Carolina’s largest parish were handled.
Unfortunately, the church burned in a forest fire in the mid 1700s, the first of three destructive fires. Biggin Church was replaced with a new building in 1761.
British troops occupied the church during the Revolutionary War and used it as an ammunition depot. As they were forced to retreat, the Redcoats burned the church and the stores for a second time.
Soon, the parish church was rebuilt again and served its community continuously up to the Civil War. During the war it was neglected and fell…
Ver o post original 223 mais palavras